This time of year is worthy of celebration. It is worthy of reorienting your life to reflect, celebrate, prepare for. But in the midst of all your busyness of shopping, baking, frosting, wrapping, singing, worshiping, decorating, and celebrating the incredible power of this season remember there are still over 27 million slaves – 27 million men, women, and children without freedom, being forced to work under violence or threat of violence. Please don’t lose hope as we are in the midst of the season where hope and love was birthed. Instead incorporate these 10 actions and live wholeheartedly as people who truly desire for love, justice, and freedom for all.
1. Put the National Human Trafficking Hotline in your phone – 1-888-3737-888
– you can also text BeFree (233733) for both information or for help.
2. Give the book Refuse To Do Nothing: Finding Your Power To Abolish Modern Day Slavery to a friend, neighbor, or family member this year. Click here
3. Email your favorite brands asking them what they are doing to make sure there are no slaves used to make their products. Click here
4. Buy jewelry that is both beautiful and helps provides jobs for survivors of human trafficking both in India and here in the United States. Click here
5. Give the gift of Fair Trade goods. Introduce friends and family to the ethical consumption.
6. Serve Fair Trade chocolate for dessert or put a Fair Trade chocolate bar in stocking instead of other candy. Click here
7. Before buying any electronics, check out how your favorite companies rank in their efforts towards using and investing in conflict-free minerals in their products. Then send them a message letting them know how important conflict minerals are to you. Click here
8. Become a prayer partner with International Justice Mission. Click here
9. Check out Do A Little Good and how you can become a everyday activist.
10. Ask your place of worship to consider showing the documentary Nefarious in 2014.